Airgun shooting Future

A place to discuss new ideas, thoughts, and chat about existing competitions.
zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
Airgun shooting Future

Post by zunmik » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:50 pm

I have noted of late that the onus of the website appears to have shifted to solely talking about guns, but little or nothing about shooting them which is a shame when the future of target shooting is not looking good see this link from the bbs,
http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php ... irgun-2014
Even you "wobbly" owners may find the future of your taste in doubt :shock: if airgun interest wain, is it not time for us to try, and stir the interest in shooting or 50 years from now will their be any collectables ??. Here endeth the sermon, M. :(
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Re: Airgun shooting Future

Post by zunmik » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:06 pm

Since I started this thread I thought I should talk about my current shooting. At the moment I only compete In the CAPA benchrest pistol comp, and I have to admit to using it as a fun shoot mainly, surely that's not so bad though enjoyment must be a major part of shooting or what's the point!, this has enabled me to use a different pistol each time to further pursue the pleasure. However recently some of the blokes have put together some great scores which has caused me to re-asses my approach although in it for the fun, I can't deny i'm a fiercely competitive bugger, and don't wish to embarrass myself, so instead of just picking up a target once a month I've done some proper benchrest practice this month with some surprising results. Currently I have 2 target pistols, plus 2 springer pistols, and also another pistol (TAU7) on loan. Like many I suspect, when I get my spring pistols out I am expecting a significantly lower score whilst they have been lower than the target pistols no where as low as usual, after some proper practice sessions using the Hw45, and the Izh53m I have been able to average scores in the low nineties over a ten shot string with the 45 just beating the 53 by a point, still not great, but previously it was in the mid to high eighties so I am well satisfied. Also my target pistol scores have improved from this benchrest practice normally I practice pistol 4-5 times a week, but freehand only so now I will include bencrest in my practice regime, Apologies for the boring waffle, M. :oops: :)

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:17 pm

I am not very competitive these days, my only concern being to try and beat my own previous score.

I do like it when somebody enters a higher score, and consistently matches it. I also like it that this competition has improved scores in other competitions.

Above all, is about fun and getting to use pistols you wouldn't ordinarily use otherwise. If it wasn't for this comp my Original Model 10 wouldn't get used.

If anybody else has any ideas for a competition they would life to run, then by all means feel free to mention it.

A Webley challenge, an SSP only challenge, etc, are a few examples.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:31 pm

pmh wrote:I am not very competitive these days, my only concern being to try and beat my own previous score.

I do like it when somebody enters a higher score, and consistently matches it. I also like it that this competition has improved scores in other competitions.

Above all, is about fun and getting to use pistols you wouldn't ordinarily use otherwise. If it wasn't for this comp my Original Model 10 wouldn't get used.

If anybody else has any ideas for a competition they would life to run, then by all means feel free to mention it.

A Webley challenge, an SSP only challenge, etc, are a few examples.

Kind regards,

Phil
I expected the dreaded "Wobbly's" to get a mention the pistol whose barrel never aligns in the same direction twice :lol: , however a springer pistol comp would cover it, allowing all to have a go, would it not, M. :)

Thirdwheel
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Thirdwheel » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:54 pm

This is how my shooting is going.
I can concur with zunmick about being competitive and not wanting to show yourself up, so I'm driven to improve and I'm now shooting almost every day both at 10m as well as 6yds and with advice from members of this forum, books and self analysis I am improving. What the MPL has done is to give me a place where I can start from, a place to go, a place take a chance on something, a place to get advice. If anyone wants to shoot mainstream 10m pistol they need a start point and there are not very many of those (not that I initially did this because I wanted to shoot 10m pistol).

This is a low cost entry point too, in the last three months I've bought a Webley Alecto (my most expensive pistol), Gamo Faclon, Original 6M, HW40 (for my left handed wife), Original 5 (.22), FWB 65. I've had them all of them to bits and seviced them before even firing a shot out of them (except the new Webley). So have learned a lot about them and what I can expect from them as well as correcting some generic faults like bent barrels on the Originals.

Due to the wonders of the internet I realised there were other postal competitions too and some of the more mainstream ones needed verification so I sought out clubs in my area, luckily there was one not too far away in Deal. They have an indoor 25M range shooting live rounds but they are very happy to have me set up a 10M stand on the range. It is interesting firing next to people using cannons, or so it feels by the blast they emit (brown bess muzzle loaders) and I have smiled at the long barreled pistols they use, and what looks like assault rifles. The club have included me in the postal Kent league they shoot as the only air pistol from the club and I will shoot the Dorset league in the Summer so I'm starting to go mainstream.

I did not start all of this to go mainstream 10m shooting, but just to have fun and a focus during the winter months, as my other interests shut down during the winter and the short dark days. I seem to have moved on a bit now that I have realised you can improve, and effort put in can and will bring results, which is very nice, my wife is also having a go and is improving and her scores are far better than mine when I started three months ago.

I have now focused on using the FWB 65 to the best of my ability, as this gun above all of the others seems to feel right, although my improvement is also transfered to the other pistols and again this is nice to experiance. RobinC pointed out that the British Open is in Feb. so I will go along to that, so I'm slowly being sucked in but I had access because of using simple cheap pistols and a place to compete in a fun way with people, who were like minded.

Very much looking foward to the start of new MPL in March in whatever form it takes and thank you for running this one and getting me shooting in the first place!

I've set my self a challenge which is also a constraint at the same time - I will buy a modern target pistol but not until my average is 85/100 at 10m, I'm sooo close to that now it is painful. oooh I want one now!

Must go and practice
Best cheers
George

Aitchy

Post by Aitchy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:46 pm

Could 6 yard shooting be the way forward? My nearest 10m range is 20 miles away. If I join I doubt I'll manage to attend more than once a month. 6 yards works within the house and I can practise daily.

I'm sure that I'm not alone in this and wonder just how much more support there might be for air pistol target shooting if 6 yard shooting was taken more seriously.

It seems to me that results at 6 yards on Air 8 targets should be pretty much identical to those achieved at 10m on Air 4 targets. If my calculations are correct (opinions welcome), then there's every reason to try and encourage 6 yard shooting as an easy and accessible entry to 10m competitive shooting. Participants can benchmark their results at 6yds against published 10m competition results and get a good idea as to how they will fare in an open match.

Is there anything in this?

Chris

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:38 pm

Experience shows us that 6yd scores are usually less than 10m.

If anybody on here fancies a free 6yd comp then we could easily arrange one.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

TheWilding

Post by TheWilding » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:39 pm

I'll hopefully be putting the Mod 6m together on sunday, so Id be up for a light hearted 6yd comp while I wait for the new MPLs to start

Sean

kj68
Marksman
Marksman

Post by kj68 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:55 pm

Hi im going to start and have a go at the 6yrd comps starting in may, looking forward to it and I will be using my EMGE LP3 pistol which I will have purchased from one of our members. :handgestures-thumbup:

kj68 :)
Happy Shooting