Indian Copy of the Webley Senior

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
plinker1965
Indian Copy of the Webley Senior

Post by plinker1965 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:12 pm

Hi,
This is my first post so hello.
Did anyone else know that An Indian Company called IWS make a copy of the Webley Senior? I stumbled across the below link. Looks rough around the edges but imitation is the highest form of flattery. Take a look.

http://www.thegungeek.com/SGP/viewtopic ... 7&start=45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Indian Copy of the Webley Senior

Post by pmh » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:12 am

Hello,

And welcome to the forum.

Interesting find. I am surprised there aren't more copies of them, particularly as we seem to be going through a nostalgia period of retro reproduction.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:24 pm

plinker1965 wrote:Hi,
This is my first post so hello.
Did anyone else know that An Indian Company called IWS make a copy of the Webley Senior? I stumbled across the below link. Looks rough around the edges but imitation is the highest form of flattery. Take a look.

http://www.thegungeek.com/SGP/viewtopic ... 7&start=45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hello,

There were actually a number of copies of the Webley Senior produced in several countries over the years which as you say reflects on the quality of the design.

The MAHELY produced in Argentina in the 1950s and the ISW from India in 1983 are probably the closest to the original, but the NOMA and the LOV1 both made in Czechoslovakia in the 1950s /1960s were also pretty close copies.

Regards

Brian

plinker1965

Post by plinker1965 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:33 pm

Cheers Brian,
I've been interested in these great pistols for some time now but had no idea they were copied in other countries. Makes sense when you think about it.
I'll take a look at some of the companies you mentioned.
All the best.
Nick H

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:44 pm

plinker1965 wrote:Cheers Brian,
I've been interested in these great pistols for some time now but had no idea they were copied in other countries. Makes sense when you think about it.
I'll take a look at some of the companies you mentioned.
All the best.
Nick H
Hi Nick,

You can see pictures of all these Webley Senior copies on Danny Garvin's excellent website.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/681456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I started out concentrating on Webley air pistols, but soon found myself including other British spring air pistols from the same era and earlier. I guess that's how we all end up with pistols we never intended collecting when we first started.

Regards

Brian