Target rifle setup

A place to share your projects, technical advice. and tutorials
ikarma70
Target rifle setup

Post by ikarma70 » Sun May 19, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi, are there any sites for the setup of a target rifle stock and balancing weights?

Atb
Andy

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Re: Target rifle setup

Post by Tank » Sun May 19, 2013 5:17 pm

ikarma70 wrote:Hi, are there any sites for the setup of a target rifle stock and balancing weights?

Atb
Andy
I would expect Robin will be along shortly and be able to give some advice but what a fascinating question.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

ikarma70

Post by ikarma70 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:04 pm

Issuing an apb on robin!
Wanted for interrogation on what he knows on the topic stated.... Apprehend alive at all costs! Heehee

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Mon May 20, 2013 8:53 pm

I have sent Robin a note so hopefullly he will be along.....
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.

ikarma70

Post by ikarma70 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:28 pm

Thankyou very much

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Tue May 21, 2013 9:56 am

Hi
Sorry I did not answer, I don't look on the sites very often so Tank sent me a wake up!

Good target rifle set up is very personal to the shooter and different shooters and some coaches have varying views, BUT, most follow the same general patern. There are excellent books from the MEC outfit, "Air Rifle Shooting" and I presume you are shooting air rifle? The other book is by the same people "The ways of the Rifle" both cost around £40 each but are the good coaches bibles. The problem I find with both is that superb as they are, they both are elite standard shooter focused, so as much of my coaching is based around getting club shooters or youngsters from scratch to the platform to elite shooting, an average at 10 mts of 90, so I have been writing my own coaching book focused on that.

I'm presuming you are shooting standing and understand the basics of the position, a wood stock or alloy? Although an old fart I'm an advocate of modern techniques, and coach short rear ballanced rifles and the principle of the rifle fits you, not you fit the rifle. As this has the danger of me writing pages I'll restrict to to aspects, length and ballance. Length, a good basic guide is the length of your right arm from wrist joint to elbow point, and use that as the max length. I advise that dimension or no more than another 1cm over it. My definition of stock length is from the centre of the buttplate to the front face of the pistol grip. It may mean an adjustment or alteration on an alloy or the saw out on a wooden stock (Bob has just fainted!), but do you buy to shoot or collect?
Ballance, years ago the thinking was muzzle heavy, now all the top shooters have centre or rear ballanced rifles and the scores are much higher. Most older rifles are much to muzzle heavy and the first step is to remove muzzle weights if possible. Ballance point idealy as close to left hand position as possible or no more than 1 to 2 cm in front. With alloys there are loads of places to tuck weight but wooden can be more dificult and you have to be inventive to get them as rearward as you can. That said my wife shot internationaly with a prototype Walther LGR Junior in the '80's, we still have it, it has a dummy alloy muzzle weight (as the factory wanted it to look standard) and half a kilo of lead in the hollow butt and it balances superbly, and she still shoots with a very short Walther special, an LG400 action in a Walther Junior LG300 laminated stock, and that also has the half kilo in the butt, so it is possible to ballance all generations of wood stocks, just take more effort.
Thats the basic, then consider buttplate (unless you have basic, then its just all the way down!) cheek piece, head position and eye line.
Have fun,
Best regards
Robin

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Tue May 21, 2013 10:19 am

Length, a good basic guide is the length of your right arm from wrist joint to elbow point, and use that as the max length. I advise that dimension or no more than another 1cm over it.
If you could elaborate on that a little Robin? You lost me somewhere (but then that is easy to do).
I did think about that Muzzle weight on my LGR and actually removed it, then you did mention your wife didn't like it so I was obviously onto something there.
graham.

Adam77K
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Adam77K » Tue May 21, 2013 1:08 pm

Thanks Robin, very interesting. I shoot FT but many of the principles apply for the standing positional shots, and I've been having trouble with these lately. I recently experimented with adding a little more weight to the butt end (very easy with the Steyr LG100 as you're no doubt aware there are convenient holes designed for weights).
Tank wrote:
Length, a good basic guide is the length of your right arm from wrist joint to elbow point, and use that as the max length. I advise that dimension or no more than another 1cm over it.
If you could elaborate on that a little Robin? You lost me somewhere (but then that is easy to do).
I did think about that Muzzle weight on my LGR and actually removed it, then you did mention your wife didn't like it so I was obviously onto something there.
I think Robin is referring to this, not the overall length of the stock to the forend:
My definition of stock length is from the centre of the buttplate to the front face of the pistol grip

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Tue May 21, 2013 1:31 pm

Graham
What I call stock length or some call the pull, there are several ways of defining it, what I refer to length is the length from the centre of the butt plate forward to the front face of the pistol grip.

I advise the shooter to measure his (or her) arm, with the right arm bent from the elbow point to the wrist joint, then use that as the stock length, and keep to that or no more than 1 cm longer.

Adam, I have no interest or knowledge of FT, but I did coach a local guy in 10 mt target air last year who had been second in the worlds in FT. It was quite difficult as he was a very good natural shot but had a lot of bad habits which he said did not matter in FT and he was reluctant to change. Slowly he did and became a good target shot, but interestingly he said his standing FT had improved using target techniques to the point where he said he did not miss a standing FT shot all year and he altered his FT rifle to close to a set up that we had taken his target rifle to!
My wife use to shoot three positional 300 mt with 7.62, regardless of recoil she used the identical position and technique as she did shooting air rifle. As long as its not a moving target, standing is standing, and the technique is the same.
Have fun
Robin

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Tue May 21, 2013 7:20 pm

RobinC wrote: I advise the shooter to measure his (or her) arm, with the right arm bent from the elbow point to the wrist joint, then use that as the stock length, and keep to that or no more than 1 cm longer.

It was quite difficult as he was a very good natural shot but had a lot of bad habits which he said did not matter in FT and he was reluctant to change. Slowly he did and became a good target shot, but interestingly he said his standing FT had improved using target techniques to the point where he said he did not miss a standing FT shot all year and he altered his FT rifle to close to a set up that we had taken his target rifle to!
My wife use to shoot three positional 300 mt with 7.62, regardless of recoil she used the identical position and technique as she did shooting air rifle. As long as its not a moving target, standing is standing, and the technique is the same.
Have fun
Robin
This is very interesting Robin and thank you for sharing this.

I am very disappointed that you live so far away!

I have lots of bad habits, amongst them is my rifle techniques :lol:
graham.

ikarma70

Post by ikarma70 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Ok further info as robinc requested.
Anschutz super air 2001 wood stock fully adjustable.
I shoot bell target and i seem to be excelling at it.

Atb
Andy

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Tue May 21, 2013 8:41 pm

ikarma70 wrote: I shoot bell target and i seem to be excelling at it.

Right. Your'e on our team!
graham.

ikarma70

Post by ikarma70 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:28 pm

Tank wrote:
ikarma70 wrote: I shoot bell target and i seem to be excelling at it.

Right. Your'e on our team!
Well my best score is 88 on 2 rounds of rifle and 2 rounds of pistol, i have also rang the bell on 5 consecutive shots in competition and won the winter league with 70 rings.

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Tue May 21, 2013 10:02 pm

ikarma70 wrote: Well my best score is 88 on 2 rounds of rifle and 2 rounds of pistol, i have also rang the bell on 5 consecutive shots in competition and won the winter league with 70 rings.
Like I said, our team :lol:
graham.

ikarma70

Post by ikarma70 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:27 pm

Just adjusting my rifle to robins advice