Webley Venom Viper

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your rifles.
fronteria
Plinker
Plinker
Webley Venom Viper

Post by fronteria » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:05 am

A couple of weeks ago I was given a 2005 Webley Venom Viper which I was told was defective as it couldn't be recharged with air with the Logun pump that came with it.
I gave it a quick check over and it was plain that there was an O-ring missing from the probe which I replaced from the box of O-ring from Aldi I had in the shed.
I fitted the probe to the hose from my dive bottle and recharged it, I couldn't believe it, but the rifle has held it max. air pressure for a couple of weeks, so it hasn't got any serious problem with the air pressure and valve system.
I found that the rifle which was supposed to a very accurate model had a problem as the best group I could get was around 10" at 10 yards, I email Steve at V-Mach Custom Rifles Ltd who designed and built these custom rifles for Webley (it is basically a highly modified Webley Raider) who was unbelievably helpful what a great company they are to deal with.
After following his instruction, I am sure I have found a rectified the accuracy problem as a Steve suggested the defect was the incorrect alignment of the after-market moderator fitted to the rifle and the barrel shroud, having now taken the moderator apart and found plenty of lead chips trapped in the moderator the cause of the problem was obvious which I have now rectified.
I have yet a test the rifle on the range but I am very sure I have rectified the cause of the rifles inaccuracy.

Photograph here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/159592664@ ... 156931367/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Re: Webley Venom Viper

Post by zunmik » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:07 pm

Never seen one of those rifles before, but it sounds like U have it sorted now 8-) its a problem of heard of many times over the years, so i have avoided moderators just to be on the safe side, i hope U keep us posted on how it performs now atb, mike. :handgestures-thumbupright:
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

fronteria
Plinker
Plinker

Post by fronteria » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:10 pm

zunmik wrote:Never seen one of those rifles before, but it sounds like U have it sorted now 8-) its a problem of heard of many times over the years, so i have avoided moderators just to be on the safe side, i hope U keep us posted on how it performs now atb, mike. :handgestures-thumbupright:
Hi. Zunmik
I am not a fan of moderators either but on this air rifle it has a 14" Lothar Walther choked barrel inside a 21" barrel shroud topped off by a 6.5" moderator so in fact the barrel accounts for about only half of what appears to the barrel, which is in fact is just a shroud and moderator
It is running a bit too close to the legal limit for comfort with my chronograph readings at an average of 607 f.p.s. and Ft. Lbs 11.884 over ten shots with 14.5 gr. RWS Super Dome.
I have yet a use it at the range to see how it groups.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:27 am

Look forward with interest to how U get on with it mike.

fronteria
Plinker
Plinker

Post by fronteria » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:02 am

After the original attempt to zero a new scope fitted to my newly acquired 2005 manufactured Webley Venom Viper which produced a group at ten yards of over ten inches in size, it is the largest group that any rifle I have owned has produce when being zeroed.
After contacting Steve Pope of V-Mach Custom Rifles Ltd. Who designed and made the air rifle for Webley, He was extremely helpful and free with technical information to help me rectify the problem.
Following Steve’s advice, I eventually traced the cause of the problem that made the rifle perform so inaccurately, was an aftermarket moderator which was misaligned with the barrel shroud causing the pellets to clip.
Steve recommended that a shorter moderator should be used or the aftermarket moderator fitted should have the size of the holes in the baffles enlarged.
I took the original aftermarket moderator apart and bored the baffles out from their original diameter hole of 6mm to the much larger 10mm size the increase in the noise level is of no consequence as far as I am concerned.
After zeroing the rifle the group size of a ten shot group that was produced by the Webley Venom Viper is .700” or 17.7mm at 25 yards.
In the photograph a 5 pence coin has been place on the target for size comparison.
Photograph of target here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/159592664 ... 156931367/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:21 pm

Looking like your getting their, Mike. :handgestures-thumbupright:

fronteria
Plinker
Plinker

Post by fronteria » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:42 pm

zunmik wrote:Looking like your getting their, Mike. :handgestures-thumbupright:
Hi. Mike
It is just a matter of testing it with different brands of pellets to find which it performs best with.