Walther CP1

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Billy n
Walther CP1

Post by Billy n » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:36 pm

Sorry Iam new to this sight .can anyone please tell me what they know about the weather cp1,I read a post a while back about a cp1 with dereck gent custom grips .i carnt seem to find out much about them .ive recently acquired which pretty much sounds like the same pistol ie boxed lots of paper work dg grips any info would be great. Thanks bill

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Re: Walther CP1

Post by zooma » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:03 am

Hi Bill,

I also have a Walther CP1 with the Derek Gent grips - if you have one as well then the grip must have a been a very desirable optional extra purchase at the time for CP1 owners.

Very few CP1 air pistols were made before they improved the trigger mechanism to make it the CP2 and due to the need to have a firearms certificate to own one of these in the UK at the time very few of these air pistols ever made it into our country.

It looks like yours and mine are two of those that did make it as the Derek Gent grip will also time date it as being in the UK during that time period.

Maybe we are in an exclusive "Walther CP1 with Derek Gent Grips Owners Club" of just two members?

The thread you are looking for is easy to find - it is in the same list as this thread with the title "Walther CP1".
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:55 am

A rare pistol and a rare grip, just like buses you wait for ages then along come two!
I had one of the first into the country back in the early 80's, mine was sold with standard grips but I'd be interested to know the details off the paperwork such as which dealer it was sold through or any other names on the paperwork.
Good shooting
Robin

Billy n

Post by Billy n » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:31 am

Thanks robin I only came to own this pistol about a week ago I .i read on the post only around a 1000 were produced sorry to be ignorant but is dereck gent still alive and more so still making these grips.The grips on my pistol seem rather small maybe made for a lady or junior ,il dig paper work out and let you know . Iam more of a webley fan myself but must admit its a fine pistol does it hold much value . Regards bill

Billy n

Post by Billy n » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:49 pm

Hi zooms /robin ok got paper work which consist of promotional poster which reads , At last it's here walther are proud to announce the arrival of the revolutionary cp1co2 pistol to the uk market.a cp1 manual and a cp 2 manual Another promo with all info on pistol ie importer ( accuracy international 43 Gladys avenue north end Portsmouth hants dated march 1982.Another promo magazine for the osp/GPS pistol . And a blue target card with model then hand written cp1 nr 01290 . On pistols case is blue sticker with pistol number 1290.on pistol grip 4more stickers with British championships (air) 1989 weapons control . Inside pistol case are Alan key and a small box of tools a tin of 500 hobby pellets . Oil and to spare co2 barrels . Behind foam packaging in the case are 4 more stickers for air gun championships 1990 and 1991 and European air gun championships manchester 1991. Sorry if a bit long winded but that's it.whoever it belonged too looked after it really well thanks guys .bill

Billy n

Post by Billy n » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi zooms / robin also forgot to mention there's 22 target cards with national small bore rifle association lord Roberts house billet camp,Brookwood surrey

Billy n

Post by Billy n » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:07 pm

Also have boxed Baikal k 40 ( some russian writing that looks like a reversed letter n before the k40 if that makes any sense)with manual dated 17 may 1990 , off the same chap I got cp1 from .dont no much about this pistol either .thanks guys ,bill

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:42 pm

Hi Billy
My first interest was wether yours was the one I first owned, I had one of the first two into the UK, I do not have the number of mine but Bobs is 1241 and we know from the documents with it that it was not mine originally, so yours at 1290 is newer so also not mine.
Although a superb pistol and I prefered it to any thing else of the time I got rid of it as it was on ticket (FAC) due to a foible in the law over the prepelent being listed as a "noxious gas". Myself and the other guy who had the other one were repeatedly refused to be allowed to use them in airgun matches as the organisers in those early days ('81/82) considered them firearms and not permitted on air ranges and it was too much hassle, this was later relaxed (after we sold them!).

I had standard grips on mine, I knew Derek from the BPC (British Pistol Club), I think he was more a hobby grip maker but they were beautifully made. I tried to research him when Bob's grips surfaced and could not find him, but although not confirmed I have heard that he died in an accident. He was a contempory of mine in the BPC and I'm 67 so it was a long time ago.

Walther as a company was in a mess at the time so their records are not complete but a friend at the factory is adamant that there was less than a 1000 made. The CP2 which replaced it is very similar other than the trigger which is removable as a unit and a lot easier to set up. Value is what its worth to some one who wants one, I'm not a collector I more have the original guns that I shot and kept when I upgraded, only firearms were sold and the CP1 was in that category so I was looking for a replacement for nostalgia. Bob will know better the true value but I think £250 to £350 depending on condition. Parts are now a bit tricky but if its working don't fix it, too many old guns are wrecked by well meaning enthusiasts who know a little, and often start "servicing" a good condition gun best left alone.
I have a CP2 as I could not find a CP1 and would not bother with a CP1 now unless I could be sure it was my old one. They are a very nice pistol, a bit long in the tooth and muzzle heavy by modern standards but very nice to own and reasonable to use. I think yours was from a top level shooter going by the European championship '91 sticker, I've looked to see if I can find some record of the GB team in that meeting to see if I can recognise a name who used Walther but I'ts a bit too early for computor records. If you alter the grips don't remove the stickers, they are proof of its history and provenance.
Robin

zooma

Post by zooma » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:40 pm

My CP1 also came with a lot of good documentation including the original test target, instruction manuals, three spare CO2 cylinders and a case with the same number on it as the pistol.

My CP1 has just been stripped and serviced ( not an easy job) and now it has new seals and is in perfect condition I doubt if I will ever shoot it again and as spare parts are now very difficult (or impossible) to get I have bought a CP2 that looks identical from the outside but spare parts can still be found when needed and it is much easier to work on if it needs attention in the future.

For me the CP1 is not a pistol to shoot on a regular basis but one to keep in a collection for posterity as it is a rare pistol.

I always believe in shooting all of my pistols as often as possible - so for me to say that I will not be shooting this one again should give you some idea about the scarcity of the parts to keep it running and the complexity of working on it.!

This same time consuming process is probably also why it was changed to the CP2 so quickly as assembling them in the factory from new must have also been very time consuming and not practical to continue with.
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

lukefloorwalker

Post by lukefloorwalker » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:41 pm

Robin

I have just picked up at auction a Walther CP serial number 01067. Is this yours?

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:22 pm

Any pictures?,I never came across one of these.
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.