Giss Giss, Bang Bang.

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Brimfire
Giss Giss, Bang Bang.

Post by Brimfire » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:15 am

Not really much point to this post other than to show off my latest acquisition and confirm something that we all know - that classic air pistols are addictive and one is never enough.

I got this in a swap for a CP1 CO2 pistol from a nice chap on AGF who couldn't get on with open sights any more.
6G small.jpg
It's not the cleanest 6G and a little rough in places where a previous owner has used vise grips/his teeth on the gear caps and other places but, although I've yet to point it at a target, it seems to cock and fire nicely. That's all ok with me as, while I like to keep them in good condition, I'm not overly precious about my guns. I'm told the seals were done a year or two back but the trigger is shockingly light and will be getting adjusted as soon as I can find some advice on the subject.

It'll also stop my 6M getting lonely.
giss pair small.jpg
It's nice to have a breeding pair.

I may swap the grips over to the 6M after some TLC - what sort of oil would you recommend for a dark, non glossy finish? I've used Tru-oil in the past but found it too light and shiny for my taste.
Stirred, not shaken.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Re: Giss Giss, Bang Bang.

Post by zunmik » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:01 pm

Love your 6m great pistol wish i'd kept mine.
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

Brimfire

Post by Brimfire » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:24 am

Yeah, they are nice things.
Won't be getting rid of mine anytime soon.
Stirred, not shaken.

Brimfire

Post by Brimfire » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:35 pm

Clubmate Nick took his 6 along for a play.
Gisses small.jpg
Rebuilt from a bag of bits, it's lacking sights but is in great condition and shoots as it should. I'll be twisting his arm to sell and, if he does, I'd graft a rail on for either a pistol scope or red dot to get round the unobtainable missing sights.

It was the first time I'd tried an Original pistol with the moulded plastic grip and it fitted very well. I found the diamond pattern checkering was quite "aggressive" and really bit in to the hand but the surprise for me was that, in the lack of extensive practice and testing, I'd consider it better/more comfortable than either of the grips on my 6G or M.
Stirred, not shaken.

Brimfire

Post by Brimfire » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:49 am

My previously mentioned clubmate Nick finally came round to the idea of parting with his Original 6 and now it's in my hands.
O6 1 s.jpg
O6 3 s.jpg
After getting first a 6M and then a 6G, I never really considered getting one of these as I thought, with that large moulded grip, it looked a bit BSA Scorpion like - big, heavy and clunky. However, when I actually tried this one, it was a revelation as it fits my hand far better than either of the more glamourous/desirable G and M models. I had to have it.

Looks-wise, it's easily a 9.5/10 and it came with some of the original packaging, not that I get all obsessive collector-y with such things.
06 2 s.jpg
However, it's not all sweetness and light. The keen eyed among you may notice that the front sight isn't the correct type and is too low. And there's an awful plastic squeak as the gun is cocked, both of which I knew about before money changed hands so I knew up front that a bit of work would be required. Because of the holdover imposed by the front sight (and a loose rear sight - easily fixed, I hope,) accuracy tests aren't really showing what the pistol is capable of but it's grouping well enough under those conditions and I've no worries in that regard. A chrono test showed it to be fairly consistent giving 10 fps either side of 410 with Hobby pellets so in the ballpark, I'd say. Rather strangely, the Hobbys gave higher velocities than Excite Econs (390fps-ish) - first time I've ever seen that, it's usually the other way around.

The cylinder end cap was a bit loose and there wasn't any preload on it so I unscrewed it for a look and, well, oh dear...

To be continued...
Last edited by Brimfire on Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stirred, not shaken.

Brimfire

Post by Brimfire » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:02 am

Not something I wanted to see.
O6 4 s.jpg
Again, oh dear...

I imagine that the tortured plastic squeak I'm hearing on cocking is from some crumbs off the seal caught between the piston and pinion teeth meaning that a complete strip will be required. I'm also under the impression that there's supposed to be a shim(s) of sorts that goes in the cylinder end cap and there isn't.

I've been lucky in that my other Original 6 pistols had been previously resealed before I got them and are in fine working order. Consequently, I've never had the need or urge to get into the guts of them. Looks like that is about to change.

Have the fine gentlemen of CAPA got any tips and advice on the strip and rebuild of these fine pistols please?
Stirred, not shaken.