Gun Blueing - Colin Malloy

If you have had good service, a good deal, or have a particular favourite for no real reason, then let fellow forum members know by posting their details here.
Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
Gun Blueing - Colin Malloy

Post by Tank » Tue May 14, 2013 9:23 am

If you need a Gun re-blued or you need Colin Malloy's contact details just drop me a PM on here.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Gun Blueing - Colin Malloy

Post by pmh » Tue May 14, 2013 5:52 pm

Colin does come highly recommended and does a very good job.

Perhaps we can turn up with a camera, one day, and do a feature?

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Tue May 14, 2013 6:27 pm

He does nickle plating as well doesnt he?

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Tue May 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Yes Ian, Nickel plate too. He has set up as a "sub division" of a local Chrome plating and Polishing company. What many people may not realise is that the "blueing" - the actual surface finish - is a relatively straightforward task, it is the preparation and polishing prior to the finish that is important. For instance, I took my FWB 300s to him for bluing. He looked at it and said - "like the original finish?" Well of course and when I went back and collected it the gun was more black than blue and had a lovely satin finish. When I compared the colour of the finish to the sled which was still on my workbench you really couldn't tell them apart. This comes only with great experience.
As a matter of fact I am picking up my HW77K bits first thing (tomorrow is a 'workshop day' for me too) so I will ask him a few pointed questions.

One thing I do know - if the gun you take him has multiple applications of 'cold blue' he charges more! Because it is very time consuming getting rid of all of the traces of cold blue (usually selenic acid) before he can start the process of Hot Salt Blueing. The process also consumes a great deal of electricity, no wonder they are all a bit flaky, Hot chemical baths + Electricity = much flakiness :shock:
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/