Recoiling or Recoiless ?

A place to discuss new ideas, thoughts, and chat about existing competitions.
zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
Recoiling or Recoiless ?

Post by zunmik » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:36 am

Which of the above, i wonder how many will go for the recoiling pistol option certainly a lot more of a challenge hmm?. for myself i am undecided i have downloaded a target, and found that i've got a load marginally smaller which will be ideal for practice, its sometime since i shot pistol so will need lots of practice. Another factor of course if you go recoiless is do you go spring recoiless, ssp, co2, or even pcp get your thinking caps on fella's, M. :?  :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:16 pm

I think the results will show which type is the most successful.

I am sticking with my 6G for now, however, we didn't put any rules in on specific pistols,  which we may need to review.

For example, I don't think it would be in the spirit of the forum (being "Classic"),  or competition,  to use something like a modern Steyr, Morini, Feinwerkbau, etc, PCP.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:27 pm

pmh:598 wrote:I think the results will show which type is the most successful.

I am sticking with my 6G for now.

Kind regards,

Phil
I think there is little doubt which would be the most successful, however which would give you the most satisfaction coming first recoiless, or a little lower down the scoreshoot having used a recoiling pistol. Once again each to their own, M.  :wink:
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:36 pm

I have been putting the Baikal MP-53M through its paces today, and was grouping at just over 1.5" one handed at 10m.

Recoil is heavy, but it is a very light gun, especially for its size. It also needs running in a bit.

Getting a good score with this would certainly give me a a big grin, and sense of achievement.

That said,  it still wouldn't be as satisfying as my 6G.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:02 pm

I had a try with with some recoiling pistols earlier using my commercial bench rest, resting my forearm on a cushion only and then freehand (two handed grip) just as a comparison.

Freehand gave me the most consistent (and accurate) POI, next came the cushion and last the bench rest.

It may be a peculiarity of my physiology or shooting style but I find that recoiling springers and bench rest shooting dont get on very well!

Recoiless is another matter though as the results were the exact opposite of the above with, unsurprisingly, the bench rest coming out top. I find there are still enough variables to make it a challenge though.

Not sure I see the point in using something like an ultra modern PCP match pistol for this however - whats the point? Not that I would be tearing my hair out if someone with a Steyr beat me and one of my 50 year old CO2 pistols. Its a bit of fun, not the Olympic games!  :)

Nyctophiliac

Post by Nyctophiliac » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:38 pm

I, too, have been trying out pistols rested. I only have a few springers and one SSP to choose from, so it shouldn't be difficult to decide which I will use in the comp.

Not suprisingly few of the pistols acted well on the rest. Just goes to show how much the design of the guns requires the additional dampening of our own muscles, sinew and bone to deliver an accurate shot.

One of the springers shoots a full four inches high at target! First time I've ever hit my wall rather than the target area.

Another springer (Backwards release type) was fine rested on the butt and way high rested on the front.

Biggest suprise was the SSP, which was extremely flakey with either resting position. I thought it would walk through this test as the most accurate.

So the one I favour at the moment is the one I find the most difficult to use in general shooting, and with the biggest recoil. Today, it had the best scores of all four of my guns.

I have one more springer to try tomorrow (an un-name marked spanish, plastic handled, break-barrel 177 pistol from the late eighties. I don't even remember where I bought it, but it may do well. I'm going to have to post a picture of it for identification though!

Anybody else getting a bad back shooting rested?

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:48 pm

Bad back maybe down to stooping.

I find it best to have the platform quite high, so that I don't have to lean too much.

I have a sort of camping stool as my seat.

I've not tried too many guns, and hope to put a few more through their paces.

It is quite interesting how our bodies adapt, shooting unsupported, especially how they compensate for each guns quirks.

Like you say, it's only when they are rested, that they show their various characteristics.

Plenty of time to have a go at the benchrest comp.

Maybe there'll be enough interest to open various categories: spring, SSP,  etc.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:52 pm

At first it would seem that bench resting a pistol especially a recoiless one at 6 yards would make things far too easy - interesting to note that this is not the case - it raises a whole new set of challenges!

chriscp1991

Post by chriscp1991 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:01 pm

pmh:602 wrote:I have been putting the Baikal MP-53M through its paces today, and was grouping at just over 1.5" one handed at 10m.

Recoil is heavy, but it is a very light gun, especially for its size. It also needs running in a bit.

Getting a good score with this would certainly give me a a big grin, and sense of achievement.

That said,  it still wouldn't be as satisfying as my 6G.

Kind regards,

Phil
Thats an impressive grouping with the 53m, I can achieve similar results with mine....sometimes :wink:

If i was to attempt a competition, it would be the recoil class, springer.

chriscp1991

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:06 pm

It is interesting to note, as mentioned, that benchrest pistol isn't as easy as it sounds.

If I am honest, I would've probably scored more free standing.

Still, that's the point of competition, to make a challenge.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH